- November 23, 2004 - JG has uploaded the 1992 Camden Town Hall video up on EasyTree. Here's a direct link, but you need to be a member before you can view the details and join the torrent. It's a PAL DVD image so you're going to need a DVD player that can play it and a DVD burner. Or you can just grab it and watch it on the computer.
- November 17, 2004 - Yesterday was such a weird day. I can't even remember the last time I bought a Verve "release" at the store. Even though I had the MP3's for a few weeks now, the anticipation was still there. I just wanted to get the disc and enjoy listening to Verve one more time. I can't wait to dust off my scanner and update the discography page, it's been 4 years!
- November 12, 2004 - Marc Coleman sent in another review at Launch. Also, the US release date for the Singles collection is on November 16th (this upcoming tuesday!) and the DVD will be released in America on December 14th (just in time for Christmas!).
- November 9, 2004 - Marc Coleman sent in a link to a review of the Singles collection over at Stylus Magazine.
- October 2, 2004 - Jay Babcock from www.arthurmag.com sent me the US press release for the 'This Is Music' collection. That's right, we're going to have a combo US release for the CD+DVD on November 16th. One more note, they changed the cover art, it now looks like a different version of the She's A Superstar cover. Also, I'm evaluating Google Ads for another site and I'm using thi Verve site as a test. Enjoy the ads and click on them if you're looking for "Verve Clothing"???
- September 20, 2004 - Pause and Play has the release date for the 'Best of' as November 1st, "International". So it looks like we're going to have a US release afterall. No word on the DVD yet...
- September 13, 2004 - Mauricio from Chile, South America reminded me that you can check out a clip of the unreleased Verve demo online at http://www.thiscouldbemymoment.com. It's not their best material, but it sure it great to hear new Verve after all these years. It's certainly worth buying the import version of the 'Best of'.
- September 10, 2004 - Here are a bunch of links that pretty much all say the same thing, 'cept different. The 'This is Music: The Singles 92-98' will be out on November 1st as a CD/DVD. The DVD will have all their videos and the CD will have all their singles + two unreleased songs (tracklisting below). The links: Ananova - Gigwise - Pitchfork - Billboard. Thanks for sending the links everyone...
- September 7, 2004 - Jeremy Steane sent me an email confirming the Verve Best of DVD. So far it's a European Region 2 release only, so unless you have one of those multi-region DVD players in America, you're screwed. Jeremy also informed me that Simon Jones and Simon Tong are now playing in Cathy Davey's band. There are a few pictures of Simon on their site http://www.cathydavey.co.uk/.
- September 5, 2004 - Jon sent me this message: "Have a look at the Oasis section in todays Sunday Times The Month CD. Theres a small section on the verve saying there will be a "best of dvd" as well as cd." It would be nice to have a clean copy of all their videos and maybe some bonus stuff. If any of those decision makers are reading this, I would pay TOP DOLLAR for a DVD of their 1993 Glastonbury performance.
- August 19, 2004 - Hot of the heels of the Best of news, Darren emails me a link to CD-WOW which has the tracklisting and cover art! The artwork is the color version of the 'burning car' picture that was in 'Storm in Heaven'. I actually have a poster with the black&white image that I ripped off the wall at my very first Verve show in 1993. The tracklist is:
- This Is Music
- Slide Away
- Lucky Man
- She's A Superstar
- On Your Own
- All In The Mind
- The Drug's Don't Work
- Gravity Grave
- Bittersweet Symphony
- This Could Be My Moment (Perviously Unreleased)
- Monte Carlo (Perviously Unreleased)
- August 19, 2004 - Sirendisc has a release date for This is Music - The Singles, the best of compilation that was announced earlier. It will include two previously unreleased songs, "Monte Carlo" and "This Could Be My Moment". "Monte Carlo" was on the old demo tapes pre-Urban Hymns and I've never heard of the other song before. Sirendisc's expected release date (which will probably change) is October 11th, 2004. Thanks Jonathan for the news.
- July 24, 2004 - The Music has just announced the details of their first single off of their second album and it will include a Nick McCabe remix of "The People". Thanks to everyone that has wrote in about the news.
- July 8, 2004 - Not really "news" but I heard the Shining's "Quicksilver" during the bumpers on the Howard Stern Radio Show recently. Just struck me as odd, because who made that decision to play it? Maybe someone on the Howard Stern staff is a Verve fan??
- June 5, 2004 - I'm finally getting into Sharing The Groove and was able to grab the Verve's Black Sessions from 1997. Details are here. I'll have my client open all weekend long.
- May 26, 2004 - Anthony sent me a link to the BBC 6music site where you can currently listen to Verve's 1997 Reading Festival performance. I think the link will only be around for a week.
- May 17, 2004 - The site is now being hosted at Shift Refresh (a small hosting outfit run by me and a friend). Without any Linux guys to maintain the machines, Digital Odyssey is finally moving on to a full Windows envorinment. Kinda sad since it's been my home for almost nine years. One good thing is that the musicsaves.org domain that I bought years ago is finally getting some use. Also while I was cleaning house, I found that new logo that's on the front page. I had a friend make that for me a long time ago but never got around to using it. He also made another version.
- April 28, 2004 - Torr Leonard wrote to the excellent list that today in 1999, Verve announced the breakup. I can't believe it's been five years....
- April 27, 2004 - Othmar emailed me with the info that Richard Ashcroft has been dropped from his label. I went to that site, ashcroftunoffiical.co.uk, and saw a big plug for a new verve site the-verve.net which I though, "hey cool, I'm always up for a new verve site". But I noticed they totally ganked my gigography and the reviews that people sent me. Kinda fucked up, IMO.
And there is a blurb on that Ashcroft site saying that he wasn't dropped from EMI.
- March 29, 2004 - There's a poll up at excellentonline.com about "Who designs the best album artwork?". I'm doing my part to skew the results to Brian Cannon of Microdot since he is the man behind most (if not all?) the Verve artwork.
- March 25, 2004 - Since the tracklisting of the Verve comp hasn't been announced, I decided to come up with my "dream" tracklisting for a Verve "Best of". Check it out at Excellent Online.
- March 24, 2004 - Marc Coleman was the first to write in that NME has confirmed the best of compilation. The tracklisting has not been confirmed for the album which should be out this fall. Richard Ashcroft's third solo album will be out in February 2005. Hopfully they include She's A Superstar and Gravity Grave...
- March 23, 2004 - Several people have sent me this little bit that appeared in the UK tabloid, The Sun:
I HEAR RICHARD ASHCROFT is in talks to put out a best of THE VERVE album. If it gets off
the ground the CD will also include rare, unreleased tracks from Wigan's finest. The band
split in 1998. Dare I suggest a reunion may be on the cards?
If they do release a "best of" I hope that they get everyone involved or else it'll be "Best of Urban Hymns".
- January 15, 2004 - I've just been informed that you can download a couple of Verve live shows at sharingthegroove.org. The site has a lot of documentation so read up before asking questions on their forums.
- January 7, 2004 - Paul Holmes informed me that the official Shining site www.theshiningarehere.com is no more. That sucks, they had a bunch of great songs on that album.
- January 2, 2004 - Happy New Year! I can't imagine this being legal, but you can download a bunch of Richard Ashcroft stuff from this site. Also from the site, "Make sure to check out Richard's former band, The Verve's stunning work Urban Hymns to experience the Ashcroft & McCabe vibe." :)
Back to the Main Page