- Dec 10, 2006 - While I'm here I should tell you about a google groups find that Jan wrote to me about. It looks like Nick was writing under "damonkey1111" over on the alt.music.the-verve newsgroup in 1999 - 2000. Looking at the other posts by the same person it was someone else's account so maybe he just borrowed a friend's account for this final post. Or maybe that's not even Nick, who knows.... :)
- Dec 10, 2006 - Frank wrote in to tell me that Simon Tong is in a new band called The Good, The Bad, And The Queen. They have a single out now called "Kingdom of Doom". You can hear/see clips of them on their site. Also, if you haven't searched for Verve on YouTube then you owe it to yourself. Neil wrote in to tell me that there's a ton of Verve videos up there including live shows like the show from Camden Hall in 1992 where they recorded parts of Voyager 1. They also have one of my favorite versions of The Drugs Don't Work.
- Jul 29, 2006 - Nick McCabe joined Nova Saints onstage recently. Here's the NME article:
Former Verve man makes surprise appearence
But it's not Richard Ashcroft
Founding Verve member Nick McCabe made his first live appearance in eight years at the weekend (July 22).
The guitarist joined Bristol band The Nova Saints onstage during their performance at Ashton Court Festival in Bristol.
It was the first time McCabe has played live since quitting The Verve following their homecoming show at Haigh Hall, Wigan in 1998.
McCabe - who has been working closely with the unsigned five-piece on recordings for the past year - was welcomed onstage for the band's final song, the appropriately titled 'The Last Song', to play guitar on the track which is heavily indebted to Verve guitarist's early work.
Since quitting The Verve eight years ago, McCabe has worked with both John Martyn and The Music, but has kept a relatively low public profile.
Some of the guitarist's work with The Nova Saints can be heard on their Myspace.com
- Jul 1, 2006 - I have a couple of Richard Ashcroft Updates/Rumors/Tabloid Shit. First off, the Sun is reporting that Richard Ashcroft was arrested by refusing to leave a youth center where he was offering to help teens. Then Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips called Richard Ashcroft a pompous dick for backing out of a Top of the Pops performance at the last minute. Finally, here's another link to the Richard arrested story.
- Jan 30, 2006 - Mike emailed me the news that Nick McCabe is working with a band called, Spencer. They just posted a message on their myspace blog about recording a 3-track demo and said, "It was an experience that none of us will ever forget". It's so wonderful to hear that Nick's still making music. They also recrded a promo video and say that it'll be up on their myspace page soon. Richard Ashcroft also released his album.
Back to the Main Page